Re: Fitting New Top?s

To: AGreenberg@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fitting New Top?s
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:25:01 -0800
These tops have to be warmed up so they are soft and pliable enough to
install properly.  The critical fit is at the header rail, where the top
must be gently stretched as you place it onto the contact cement.
Installing  the top on nice sunny day (in the sun, of course) is the
easiest way I've found, but I've also seen pros use heat lamps to warm
and soften the top just before stretching into place.

It's not a difficult job, just take your time, and maybe get copy of
Porter's "Guide to MGB Purchase and Restoration"  for a good discussion
of this procedure.

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT