Re: 25D4 advance springs - my experience YMMV

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 25D4 advance springs - my experience YMMV
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:24:37 -0800
Any one out there with a Lucas book listing the correct
LUCAS part numbers for his distributor?  With that number he
may be able to get the correct springs.  I have an older
book that covers 1945 to 1960.  Sometimes with the LUCAS
number a supplier can find the correct springs.  I got some
for a TD distributor that way a while back.

In regards to the springs themselves, they quite often come
as a set of two different springs.  The heavier spring has a
longer hook on it too.  That's so it's tension doesn't come
into play until a higher RPM.  That's to get the advance to
better match the ideal curve.  As it is the distributors
"curve" isn't really a curve but three broken line segments
which approximate the curve.  Someplace I may have a graphic
of the distributor curve, which may help in setting up the
distributor.

Blake