Re: MGB Carpets & Seats

To: kwaringa@dynsys.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Carpets & Seats
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:03:38 EST
Hi Ken,
I kept the wood runners under my seat rails. If you inspect the rail, you'll
find that one rail dovetails inside another but they're made in such a way
that one bend goes below the seat frame.
Also, the adjustment handle extends below the rail and you couldn't possibly
grab it when adjusting the seat. The rails need to be built up and the lead
spacers tend to float a bit in holes in the wood making it easier to tighten.
Perhaps they were designed to be a somewhat forgiving assembly, with the wood
tending less to work it's way into the carpet causing permanent damage than a
metal rail spacer would.
Personally, I'm too concerned about authenticity to question......I wanted
the car to look and feel as though I drove it off the dealer's lot in 1966.
The carpet is pretty straightforward.....make sure you have ALL the pieces.
Trial fit them before you start...they may need trimming.
Did you buy the panel kit too? If you did, be careful when you transfer holes
for the
                                     screws.....I made templates out of
cardboard and transferred them to the panels.
The seats can be tricky. The diaphragms need to be REALLY stretched out so
you can apply the hooks into the seat frame. Use plenty of burlap material
where you think there'll be wear. I covered the diaphragm with a couple of
layers, then applied the foam.
Lace twine through the holes in the diaphragm to get the seat fold detail .
I know my 66 isn't a 79 but I don't think they changed a whole lot. I hope
this helps....let me know if I can help further

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L