Re: Steering Rack Leak

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Leak
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:10:24 -0800
Oh, I see what you are referring to... my Moss catalog apparently has a
misprint that leaves a whole slew of parts unidentified. Hmmm, I don't know
if you can remove the pinion with the rack in the car -- it's a question of
space. Possibly if you remove the u-joint coupling you'd have enough room to
pull it out and back. The seal is certainly inexpensive enough to make
replacement worth a try.

But I wouldn't be that concerned if you had to pull the rack. If you mark
the position of the tie rod ends and lock nuts, you should be able to get
the alignment back close enough to drive to an alignment shop, even if you
don't want to go through the DIY procedure yourself.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149