Steering Rack Leak

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Leak
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 10:48:41 -0500
List,

My front end job continues... The latest problem on my 68B is a steering
rack leaking from the top oil seal. I've cleaned and inspected the rack and
all was good until I filled the rack with oil and have a medium sized leak
from the top. What does it take to correct this? Should bearings be replace
too? Can the seal be replaced without removal of the complete rack? I'm a
bit scared to remove and refit the rack. The manuals make a big deal about
rack alignment and I do like to have steering!

Frank Phillips
University of Florida
Facilities Planning and Construction
E-mail: fwp@ufl.edu <mailto:fwp@ufl.edu>