Re: Air tools (no LBC)

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air tools (no LBC)
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:56:32 -0800
Craig:

I have a 120 psi 11 CFM compressor and a S-K model 735
1/2 inch impact.  It will sometimes loosen lug nuts if
they were properly torqued.  If they were put on by a
shop, you probably won't get them loose.  IMO the
torque applied by impacts is dependent on the PSI
output of the air.  Many commercial shops use PSI in
the 175 range.

As far as rusted bolts are concerned, you can twist off
the smaller bolts  using a 3/8 drive unit, so the
ability to regulate the torque down is very important.

I hardly ever use an air chisel for cutting panels or
removing nuts.  It seems to do to much damage to the
panels I want to keep.  I use a cut off tool with a 3
inch wheel instead.

As far as quality is concerned, I have air tools from
Ingersol Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, Craftsman, S-K, and
whatsit.  If the generic tool looks well made, and has
some "heft" to it, and is not dirt cheap, it will
probably do.  If you buy it from a local store and
aren't satisfied after a few tries, you're more likely
to get a refund or credit.

Blake