Re: 1965 MGB

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1965 MGB
From: "Alberto Manganini" <albmang@tiscalinet.it>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:56:07 +0100
> > 2) where should the oil breather pipe go on my 18GB engine?
>
> It looks like you should have a control valve on the LHS of the rocker
cover
> that has a pipe going straight down onto the inlet manifold and another
> coming off the side and going to the front tappet chest cover.  If you
don't
> have breathing you almost certainly will get condensation building up on
the
> filler cap that will take a long time to clear on a run, if at all.

Yes, in fact looking at some pictures, I've just seen that that sort of
mushroom-shaped valve is missing on my car. It seems that the breather in my
case is connected to a pipe that goes nowhere towards the bottom of the
engine (I have still to investigate if it's open or closed at the end).
Maybe that's the only cause of the foam like sludge on my oil cap?! In this
case you are giving me my best xmas gift! :-)))
Would you consider a correct strategy to put in good order the breather and
changing the oil before removing the head? How long should I test the car
after that?

> > 3) my LH front inner wing, between the nose of the car and the radiator,
> has
> > 3 holes, about 6mm diameter, that mr.Bodge closed with insulating tape.
> What
> > are they supposed to have attached?
>
> The horn mounts there using two holes, if you haven't got one mounted
there.

> PaulH.

Could be that, I have two horns mounted more at the front, but don't know if
it's the correct setup

Happy new year
Ciao

Alberto Manganini