Re: Wire wheel discussion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheel discussion
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 14:41:55 +0000
WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> We did have one year down at Laguna Seca when Steve Earle had tech
> require everyone to wire their knockoffs on, I expect because some
> twit had lost a wheel the year before

OK, just because the Adelaide LeMans is still fresh in my blood (and
ankles and feet and ears and eyes and up my nose).

One of the Audi Prototypes lost a wheel in one of the final practice
sessions here.  The Audi creww were fined $US5000 for jumping the fence
and searching the track for the errant 'nut' but it was eventually
handed in by a member of the public.

The 'nut' had flown over the race fence... over a public area and right
out of the track (about 100 yards through the air), eventually smashing
into a shopfront in a neighbouring street.

I still have no idea why it came off but the thought of it coming off
and flying into a populated spectator area was horrifying.

Eric
'68MGB MkII