Re: Transmission capacity

To: Ken Waringa <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission capacity
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 06:49:48 -0800 (PST)
Ken, the later transmissions don't have the dipstick. Not sure when the
change was made but my '76 doesn't have one. I filled my transmission a
few months ago and was also amazed that it took about 2.5 quarts.... I
filled it until I could just feel it below the level of the filler hole.
However, I had it jacked up (versus being on jackstands) and since the
passenger's side was higher (side of the fill hole), I probably am still a
little low. Once it gets a bit warmer I intend to put the cat on my
jackstands and fill it again.

Re: the amount of oil, I did not think my transmission was empty - seems
to me I would have had some sort of problem if it was! I was sure
surprised at the amount it took. I am also going to wipe off the exterior
as it is so gunky that I can't tell if I have a leak or not. Might be the
best way to check, wipe it clean and put a couple hundred miles on it.

PS I don't have O/D either.