Transmission capacity

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission capacity
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:18:54 -0600
I said yesterday there would probably be more questions, here's the first.
I changed the oil in the non-overdrive transmission of my son's 79 B last
night.  Reading the Haynes and Bently manuals they say the capacity is 6
pints (US).  They also say there is a dip stick to check the oil.  Well I
don't have a dip stick on the transmission, just the opening half way up the
case on the right side of the tranny.  All the other transmissions I've
filled, you fill until the fluid reaches the bottom of the filling hole.
Not this one.  I pumped in 3 1/2 quarts, still not up to the hole.  I'm not
sure this is the original transmission for this car, but it works good.
Should I keep filling until the oil reaches the hole or leave it as is?  If
I don't fill it to the hole how do I check it to see if any is leaking out?

TIA

Ken Waringa