Re: Carbon Cannister

To: "frank krajewski" <frankk@intap.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon Cannister
From: "kcmgb" <kcmgb@kc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:05:21 -0600
I was Driving from K.C. to Jefferson City, Missouri about Three years ago in
the mid-west July heat 90o to 95o to make a LBC show that afternoon I filled
up  in K.C. on the way out of town  and having a OE non-vented gas cap on
board I fill the tank with EVERY drop the car could hold (running out the
fill neck) with the thought of trying to make the trip on one tank and no
stops  I was driving like a mad man cruzing between 80 and 90 mph for well
over three hours well as I was entering the outer limits of Jeff City  my
blatter was screaming so I pulled in to a gas station and hopped out as I
was going across the bay the attendant screamed that flames were coming out
the tail pipe (like an old fifties cruzer) I popped the bonnet and there was
raw gas rolling down the firewall (a gas falls so to speak) from the carbon
canister so I shut the car down for fear of fire under the bonnet  so about
1/2 hour  and a few beers later I went back to check on the car expecting
the worst and the lake of gas under it  to my astonishment the firewall and
everything around it was dry so I fired it up and everything was great so I
preceded on to the show as I stated this happened three years ago and
everything has been OK so did I do great damage? and do I rebuild the
canister? and what exactly happened that day?    kcmgb