Re: Run-In Oil??

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Re: Run-In Oil??
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:38:53 -0800
Hi Max,

  Been woolgathering about this issue.  I always thought that was
correct.  The engine should be broken in and then switched to synthetic
oil, if that's the owner's wish.  But here's the kicker.  Some cars,
like the 'Vette, reportedly come from the factory with Mobil 1 in them.
So: what's that do to the conventional wisdom of "break it in first"?

  Wondering,

  CR

Max Heim wrote:

> I have also read that synthetic oil is not recommended for break-in. Not
> sure why... About a decade ago an engine man told me to use 30wt racing oil.
>
> on 1/14/01 11:59 AM, Chuck Young at kb7cg@anv.net wrote:
>
> > I was told by the Machine Shop that did my 1500 engine to run regular 10W-40
> > oil in it the first 3000 to 6000 miles to allow all the new moving parts to
> > seat first then go to one of the synthetic brands... makes sense to me.
> >
> > Chuck Young
> > Las Vegas, NV
> > 62 & 79 Midgets

 thought that