timing quandry (was engine not cranking)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: timing quandry (was engine not cranking)
From: "Jason B Lonon" <j_lonon@lycos.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:15:15 -0500
Thank you to every one who responded to my note about the engine not cranking.
I got so many replies I couldn't possible list everyone. (Over 15 replies.)
Let me run over a couple of things that were suggested, and the result of
trying them.

1) Some people asked about the type of carb I have. Its a Weber DGV conversion.

2) I have checked the fuses, in fact I replaced the fuse box just because the
one it had was grungy looking. I have cleaned all the battery cable conenctions
so that they are shiny.

3) I do not see any cracks in the distributor rotor cap or any black streaks.

4) When I replaced the starter, I did take off the distributor. After
re-installing it, I have, to the best of my ability and knowledge, re-timed it
statically.

So, today, I went out to change the spark plugs. (Someone suggested that
perhaps they got fouled up from being flooded.) When I had them removed, I
decided to turn the engine over by hand just to see inside (After eliminating
as much as I have, it seems that timing is  still a possible problem.)
After doing this, I was confronted with what my novice mind interprets as a
quandry. When I timed it the 1st time, I used the timing notch on the pulley at
the front of the engine. However, what I see is that NONE of the pistons are
close to being at the top of their path. The 1-4 are at the bottom coming up,
and the 2-3 are heading back down. So now I'm baffled according to what I
thought I knew. I thought TDC was when the #1 piston was at the top of it's
compression stroke. But if that is the case, then my timing will be nearly 90
degress off of the timing notch on my pulley.
        This is the first time I've timed the car, as I said, I just bought it
a few months ago and it had this breakdown a few days after I got it... so is
it possible that the pulley is wrong, or is their bigger problems?
        I tried to time it based on what I saw the pistons doing, but it still
didn't fire up.
        I've read on here the only way to be sure you are at TDC is to take off
the valve cover and look at the valves. Will I need to replace the valve cover
gasket when I do this? If so I had better order one before trying.

Cheers!

Jason B. Lonon

---

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html