Re: Head Studs (long reply)

To: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Subject: Re: Head Studs (long reply)
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:11:23 -0800
My point, Jim, was that the average lister - whose demonstrated grasp of
auto mechanics is pretty low-level, judging by the questions asked on the
list - would not be able to judge whether the head studs are any good simply
by looking at them. Chances are they would also lack your years of
experience in dealing with metals and rebuilding more than one engine a year
just for the love of it.

Having to rebuild an engine more than once due to a blown head gasket caused
by weak head studs is a particular annoyance - especially to the neophyte
builder who is already struggling to make sense of confusing directions and
a variety of opinions offered on the list. Therefore, rather than refer to
shop manual advice that says studs can be re-used (but not stating that they
should not be re-used indefinitely, and written without the writer ever
imagining that these cars would last 40 or more years and undergo numerous
rebuilds), for the $40 or so cost of a set of new studs, I would recommend
that head studs be replaced on every engine rebuild unless the rebuilder
knows that the existing studs have been torqued down only two or three
times.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center