Re: SU setup diagram

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU setup diagram
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:02:04 -0800
I suspect the plumbing is a little different between a 66 and a 71. Smog
stuff, you know...

On the 66, it's pretty darn simple. The metal fuel line comes up the
passenger side (NA) of the firewall and crosses behind the engine. There's a
threaded fitting (frequently hacked off) to a braided, flex fuel line which
curves forward and runs into a "tee" as it nears the rear carb. At the
"tee", one branch continues forward to the inboard nipple on the front carb
float bowl (this branch is held in place by two handy loop clamps); the
other branch goes straight outward to the rear carb inboard nipple. In
theory (since they're invariably missing), the outboard (air cleaner side)
nipple of each carb is connected to a metal overflow pipe which runs down
the side of the engine, until they converge in a bracket down below and
behind the driver side motor mount, and extend just beyond the oil pan rim.

Note that there is no fuel filter in this description. If the threaded
fitting on the metal fuel line is missing, it is convenient (well,
necessary) to use standard fuel hose instead of the metal braided OEM one
from this junction to the "tee". That makes it easy to cut and insert an
inline fuel filter in this stretch. Because of the tight curve I found that
a right-angle filter worked better than a long, straight-through one, by
eliminating the possibility of kinking. I picked one out at the parts store
by just looking at the ones in blister packs. The one I found with the right
size nipples fit a Toyota 2L-- I figured that should have plenty of flow
capacity.

Hope this helps.

--

Max Heim