Re: SU setup diagram

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU setup diagram
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:32:47 -0700
Max is right, there are some differences with the 66 and 71. On the 67
carbs, both float bowl tops have two fuel connections - an inlet and an
outlet. The description is much as Max has it. I have a picture of my 67
BGT showing the front carb and the line that leads to the rear carb -
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/carbs.jpg. If you look close, you can see
the metal fuel line behind the valve cover where it connects to the braided
fuel line. Overflow lines are connected to two steel lines that run to
below the oil pan.

The main difference on the newer SUs (71) is that one float bowl has three
connectors instead of two. On the 71, at least on mine, the steel fuel line
continues to the firewall and then runs towards the radiator. A rubber line
connects it to the front carburetor float bowl. This front float bowl has
the three fuel connections - the inlet, an outlet that has a line that runs
to the inlet connection of the rear carb  (the same fuel line you see that
joins the rear and front carbs on the earlier SUs), and the overflow
outlet. Both overflow outlets are also connected to each other with a steel
line, a T fitting from that line allows another line to run to the charcoal
cannister.

I sent a message earlier that I would take pictures. I was a bit hasty - I
forgot that my 67 BGT is outside under a pile of snow, evicted from the
garage while I convert a TR7 to SU HS6 carbs. My 71BGT is under a tarp,
also snow bound. So the picture above is all I have for now. I should get a
chance Saturday to provide a visual description to all of this.

David