Cylinder Heads, Valve Train, and Exhaust Valves

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Heads, Valve Train, and Exhaust Valves
From: "John DiFede" <JDIFEDE@cablevision.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:05:12 -0500
I am installing a new cam in my 18V engine, and  this engine has an older style
(pre 18V) head installed, with  the later (short) cam followers and (long)
pushrods.  I've read that the  18V heads were of a shorter height than the
earlier heads, so I am wondering what effect using the earlier (thicker) head
with the later cam followers and pushrods has on the valve train.  I'm guessing
that my valves may not be opening as much as they would be if I was using the
later style 18V (thinner) head.

I've looked through my shop manual and I can only find the dimension for the
earlier head  3 - 11/16" , the size of my cylinder head.   Does anybody have
the dimensions for the later head, and the lengths of the early and later cam
follower and pushrod combinations?    The Vicki Brit catalogue also lists
different exhaust valve lengths.  Were the valves  different
due to the change in height of the cylinder heads?

Any advise , suggestions,  or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

John DiFede

73 MGB  (with early head)