FW: LHD to RHD

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: LHD to RHD
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:05:46 -0800
What year MGB??

63-67 are straightforward to change.
68-74 requires some major changes to wiring harness, firewall, and
dashboard.  The UK models had a very different design of dash.
75-80 Additionally requires a change in suspension front crossmember, I
think because the rack mounts are aligned differently.

There are visibility problems driving a RHD in the US, but I have not run
into legal ones.

The parts would have to be sourced directly from the UK and are likely to be
pricey, as there is a demand for converted US cars over there. No major US
suppliers are able to fill this need as most of the items will have to be
used, or rebuilt.  Jeff at LBC company may be a good contact, as he goes
over to the UK a lot and may buy into such an "interesting" project.

        I converted my 65 MGB to RHD, as it is a copy of a factory race-car.
I also have the bits to convert my 66BGT to RHD, as it will be a visual copy
of a Sebring MGC.  My dad got me the bits for the first conversion from a
scrap yard in the UK and has still not forgiven me.  The second set came
from Lloyd Faust, who was selling them at the Pasadena swap meet in S. Cal.
        If you are serious, I could give you an idea of what you may need
for your year of car.  I don't recomend the process, unless you have a
specific goal in mind, or are a loon.  Feel free to decide which accurately
describes my motivation.

Kelvin.