Re: 25D4 advance parts found

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: 25D4 advance parts found
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:33:06 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: R. O. Lindsay <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
To: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Cc: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 2:31 PM

> > Yes, they physically fit the 25D and 45D but the important question is
"what
> > curve do they give?" - there are some 16 or so specs for the MGB alone,
some
> > with very different characteristics.  A number of us are in the process
of

>    I would argue that MOST of the variability that we see is emissions
related,
> not performance.

Quite a few of those variations relate to HC UK engines before we had
emissions controls, I believe they relate to changes in engine spec and the
results of extended 'user trials'.

> > obtaining springs from various sources and measuring physical and
dynamic
> > characteristics to see if we can come up with some suitable
combinations.

>    That would be great.  What would be awesome is if someone has (or
> would build a clone of) an old Lucas distributor tester!  That way we
could
> measure the curves.  Hell, perhaps we could even understand the curves for
> the different vacuum modules!

Bob Munchausen has obtained a genuine distributor tester and I have a
lash-up, Les Bengston has some sets of original springs, we also have some
springs from non-OE sources to compare with them and the original specs.  We
are in the process of plotting the curves of each spring.

PaulH.