Re: Unloaded RPM

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unloaded RPM
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:44:09 EST
In a message dated 1/24/01 7:25:44 AM !!!First Boot!!!, Lawrie@britcars.com
writes:

> BTW, whatever you get for full advance at 5,000 rpm is already there by
> 3,000 (unless your distributor weights are out of whack) so let's not be
> risking turning the engine into shrapnel by revving to 5K, unloaded,
> unnecessarily!

Lawrie brings up something I've always wondered about. My engine sounds great
running 4000 rpm on the interstate, but there's something spooky about
revving the engine that high in neutral. Is revving the engine unloaded bad?
(Maybe a rule of thumb guideline here) Whenever I hear someone gunning a
parked car it makes me cringe, but I don't know why.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - NAMGBR #7-3336