I'm Back! (temporarily)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I'm Back! (temporarily)
From: Nory3@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:31:14 -0500 (EST)
Hi gang!  Remember me?  I really miss you folks, but I always know
you're all there for me when I need some advice (like now).  I still
don't have the free time to keep up with the email from the list, but I
have an MG related problem, so I thought I'd sign back onto the digest
and pick your brains a bit.

I ran into a friend of a friend today, and it just so happens that he's
had a '58 or '59 MGA sitting in his garage for 20 or so years.  The guy
has a '54 Plymouth and a couple other things, so he hasn't touched the
MGA in a long time, so he was thinking of getting rid of it.  His wife
would like to see it go too.

I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's solid, has rebuilt engine and
transmission, new brake lines (not that any rubber would still be any
good, after all this time), new grille, rechromed bumpers, redone seats,
lots of new stuff from Moss (?!), and a ton of parts from a parts car he
tore apart (the guy's a mechanic).  It's not a show car, but could be a
good driver.  He said he won't really be able to get at the car (in the
back of the garage) 'til spring, but he'll get it to his shop and make
sure it's running, so I can hear it run before I make any decisions.

He has no idea what to ask for the car, and I have no idea what to offer
(assuming it's as decent as he says).  The friend says this guy isn't
the type to rip you off or anything, and isn't really looking to make
money on it -- pretty much just wants to get rid of it.

Here's where you folks come in.....  Seeing as how my special expertise
has only been with Midgets thus far, I really don't know what something
like this might be worth.  I realize that there's not a lot of info to
go on here, but I was wondering if any of you MGA guys and gals could
give me some idea what to offer for this package.  I don't have a lot of
cash to spare this year, so I don't want to overpay for this thing.  On
the other hand, I'd hate to rob the guy blind on the deal too (though
that's the preferable choice of the two).  Any ideas?

Since I'm only temporarily subscribed to the list (I'll be signing off
again in the next day or two), I'd appreciate any responses sent
directly to me, in addition to the list, to ensure I don't miss any.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you listers can provide.  It's great
talking to you again, and being back on the list (if only for a short
time).  I'm sure I'll be back on and off many more times in the future;
I think I'll be needing lots of advice if I end up with this car.

Thanks again, miss you all,
-Nory