Re: Of floods and gasoline.

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, "Aaron Whiteman"
Subject: Re: Of floods and gasoline.
From: "Eddie Sheffield" <esheffield@prizmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:22:02 -0500
> Rick Lindsay wrote:
>
> > So today was a day of both great exstatic joy, and great sorrow.
> >
> > The HIF's are now on my B.  As is the new exhaust (I still haven't
> > decided if I like it, but now I am stuck with it for a while anyway).
>
> Aaron's story reminds me; When rebuilding my SUs (HS4s), I
> found a damaged float so I chose to replace both.  To my surprise,
> the new floats are all plastic with no metal bit where they attach
> to the spindle.  More importantly, they are NOT ADJUSTIBLE!
> I can only assume that they will work okay.  Your observations?

Same way with the HS2s on my Midget. You adjust the float height by adding
shims/washers under the needle valve seat. On mine I used VERY thin
cardboard - something like a notecard - to make a shim. Due to the geometry
of the thing, a very tiny change in the seat height makes quite a change in
the float height.

Another thing I noticed with my carbs that may or may not be useful. When I
rebuilt them I put in new throttle shafts. I wasn't terribly impressed with
the quality of the replacements. First, they were too long by about 1/8".
Can't just cut off the round end either as that would shift the slot and
screw holes for the plate, and without doing something the arms barely made
contact at all with the adjustment screws.

Another problem was that the end where the arms mount was too skinny. Recall
that the threaded end has two flat sides so as to properly register the
position of the arm on the shaft. Could have been some wear in the arms I
suppose, but they seemed to fit OK on the old shafts. Anyway the result was
that the arms could rotate a little on the shaft, and when I tightened them
down one of them was in such a position that the throttle plate couldn't
quite shut all the way and there was no way to get the idle down low enough
on that carb.

So what did I do? Went for the Dremel and ground the flats on the shafts
back a bit more. Took care of the length problem since the arms were now
seated closer to the carb body, and took care of the play by leaving the
newly ground section a little thicker. You have to be very careful though
when doing this to make sure that you leave it thicker in the right places,
other wise you may end up with a tight fit but with the arm in the wrong
orientation.

HTH. YMMV.

Eddie
1971 Midget