Re: was Auto Recyclers, now Yugo

To: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Subject: Re: was Auto Recyclers, now Yugo
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:16:39 -0600
Matthew Trebelhorn wrote:

> Even better, there are some Fiat people who use Yugo bits as low-budget speed
>parts.  The cylinder head from a Yugo will drop right on to an X1-9, and raise
>the compression about a point.  Vroom!
>
> Or, vice-versa, you could put a 1500 cc Fiat motor in a Yugo.  Plop the Yugo
>head back on, and you've got a good sized motor, running 10:1 compression and
>revving all day.
>
> Quality issues aside (between me&my girlfriend we've got 3 lbcs, so don't
>talk to me about cars with bad reputations, deserved or not), I think they're
>kinda neat little cars.  If I ever wanted to get a little FWD box, for utility
>and a bit of fun, the Yugo seems more tempting (and yeah, more silly) than
>something like a Rabbit or a Civic.
>
> Call me crazy.  Well, everybody else does...
>
> Have a good weekend, all.
> Matt

This is more true than anybody wants to admit -- especially the
folks who are extreme marque snobs.  Occasionally we get one
of them on our Ferrari list.  It galls them no end to learn that
the door handles from an Alfa Spider are the same as used
on the Mondial and the door handles from the afore mentioned
Fiat X1/9 are exactly the same part as used on the Ferrari
308GT4!  For those of us who aren't bothered by this (and why
should we be?) these are a cheap source of restoration and
repair parts!

Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research
5727 S. Lewis Ave., Tulsa, OK