RE: Maintaining The Breed, A Dilemma (longer and longer)

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Maintaining The Breed, A Dilemma (longer and longer)
From: "Greg" <gdyche@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:53:07 -0800
        Fellow Listers;
        Is this not a tempest in a teapot? Is winning a car show award so very
important? Our cars are as individual as we are. The older we get the more
individual we become. Trying to find a category system to satisfy us all is
probably futile. I do occasionally show my TD. I know it is not a concourse
car, but I share a (minor) feeling of disappointment when a datsun 5-speed
equipped car wins. If another trophy is really that important, may I suggest
a different category for each and every car. Sure, the awards presentations
would take hours ("...and first place for a '52 TD with wire wheels,
two-tone paint and fender-mounted mirrors...and first place for a '52 TD
with disc wheels, two-tone paint and fender-mounted mirrors...etc.) but we
all get to be winners and it would decrease the apparent animosity between
drivers and (the others).
        I drive my TD much more than I show it. I drove it to the 2000 Portland
All
British Field Meet (from Sacramento, approx. 1300 miles that weekend), was
awarded 3rd place in my class. More satisfying was being the fastest TD to
race in the giant slalom. Even though I was the only TD in the giant slalom.
        It seems to me that since these cars were so obviously built for driving
(as opposed to showing) that to truly maintain the breed, we should
emphasize the driving, and not the showing. Just my 2 pence/POV.

        Greg  NEMGTR #9530
        '52 TD