Re: seeking advice on MGB purchase

To: Julie Ann Phillips <jphillips@cvalley.net>,
Subject: Re: seeking advice on MGB purchase
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:31:29 -0800 (PST)
Greg, I agree with those that have stated that saving a Mk I MGB is an
honorable thing. However, you need to be aware that (if you intend to keep
the car original) replacing things like non-original seats will be
expensive. The story of my '65 is that I purchased the car with a seized
engine (due to non-use apparently versus a catastrophic event) mainly
because the body was in very good condition and that it had things like
the original steering wheel and seat frame style - although I didn't
realize it had a non-original engine at the time! I also love the metal
dash and ignition in said dash and pull-handles etc. I am budgeting about
$5000 to get this car back on the road and don't really car what it will
be worth (although I suspect it will be worth more once completed).

And to comment on the other big thread going on (originality versus
modified), I plan on this car being original, to the point of replacing
the 3-main engine with the correct GB-series engine at some later date...

Best advice would be to buy/borrow Clausager's Original MGB so you can see
what the car should have before you buy. Goob luck!

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
'76 MGB Tourer - Brooklands Green - My Driver!
'65 Pull-handle MGB Tourer - faded Tartan Red - My Project!
NAMGBR #5-2328