Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilemma (long)

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, Emgeeguy@aol.com, bkrueger@ici.net
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilemma (long)
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 18:46:04 -0500
At 12:23 PM 02/05/2001 -0800, Dan DiBiase wrote:
>Mike, guess I missed your point on shows versus preventing/limiting these
>types of mod in the first place. I think there is zero chance of the
>latter happening. The important thing is to educate people to the heritage
>and history of these cars so they can make an intelligent choice. I would
>hate to be the guy in your scenario who bought a TD with a Volvo engine
>and didn't find out till he went to a show...! You're always going to have
>a split between those that enjoy their cars as-is and those that look at
>it and think 'Boy, I really like this car but what if...?'. Personally, I
>only have experience with B's so can't comment on the 'driveability' of
>earlier cars.
>
>Here is an interesting story - I also subscribe to the Morgan's list,
>since I would like to own one of those someday. In a recent thread
>discussing the merits of various steering racks (!) the comment was made
>'The MG guys would never use a non-MG rack as they are more "purists" than
>us"!! I got a real kick out of that.
>
>>From snowy Poughkeepsie, NY.....
>

>=====
>Dan DiBiase
Dan

Great comment.
Actually all the replies without exception are good. I think the thread
should now be cut off with these thoughts:

1 everyone has the right to do what they want with their own cars.
2. modifying a car is a two edge sword. It may promote the use of the car,
but it makes them more remote from what they were.
3. The registers and clubs should encourage and educate what was or
believed to be original, and the joys as well as hardships of staying with
the original designs without alienating those who choose to modify.

Thanks to all, and maintain the breed

Mike