RE: Maintaining the Breed, a dilemma (long)

To: "'Scott Allen'" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Maintaining the Breed, a dilemma (long)
From: "Lambdin, Mike" <mlambdin@towson.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:26:48 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Allen [mailto:scottinarl@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 11:44 AM
To: mg-t@autox.team.net; mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)

-One aspect that has gone missing in the current discussion of originality
is
-what to do about parts cars...  What I mean is that I belong to other clubs

-that hold shows for other marques and what we're starting to see is cars
-assembled entirely from parts.

A car "assembled entirely from parts." is not the same as a car that has
been restored (having the old worn out parts replaced). We all know that a
brake drum, a spring or a shock are not going to last forever. I'm about to
embark on a frame-off restoration of an A, which I have owned and driven for
the past 26 years, and I'll be damned if I'm going to rebuild the brake and
clutch hydraulics... again. A car that's 42 years old deserves some new
parts.

-Should these cars be judged less original?

Of course not! As long as it has the appropriate replacement parts it's
still original.

-I'm guilty of feeling that a TD I saw with a 350 shoe-horned into it was
-sacrilegious, while a B with a louvered hood, flared fenders, and air
-damming, (not to mention a huge stereo taking up the entire trunk) was the
-coolest car I saw at last year's BCD in Maryland.

I was there and saw the above mentioned oddities. Interesting modifications
but what's the point? This is not restoration, rather more like a kit car.

To each his own.

Mike Lambdin
'59 MGA fhc