Comment, Progress but no climax (long

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Comment, Progress but no climax (long
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:25:37 -0600
Hello Gang.
   Tonight I hope to get back at the B-GT.  Last night
I decided to get the broken alternator belt replaced on
the 308GTB.  After removing the passenger side rear
fender well liner (remember, this is a mid engine car) I
discovered, by turning the pulley by hand, that the
alternator bearings are toast and thus the reason for the
broken belt.  The alternator has to come off.  On an MG
that takes three easily accessible bolts and one (or two)
push on connector(s).  On the Ferrari, the forward bank
exhaust manifold has to come off OR the right-hand fuel
tank has to come out -- just to get the alternator out of
the engine compartment!  Scheese!  If it didn't go like
stink and look like sex on wheels...
   A few days ago I wrote.

>   Remaining in the queue are:
>
>1) Cleaning the fuel system and verifying clean fuel to the
>    carbs.

   This is mostly done.  As there was a little water that got
into the tank, I want to wash it out with alcohol before
adding gasoline.

>2) Bringing the electrical system back on line and verifying
>    the ignition.

   All the wiring is now done.  I have to buy a battery on the
way home.  I was hoping to get by with an almost new
Miata battery that I have.  It's too big.

>3) Refilling the sump with Castrol 20W50.

   No prob.

>4) Installing the valve cover, coolant pipe and associated
>    rubber hose bits.

   The valve cover is now refinished in dark red and ready to

>then...
>
>5) Startup and dynamic adjustments!

   I won't do that this evening because it will be dark by the
time the other bits are complete.  I want to be able to see
oil and coolant drips, not that I expect any. :-P

>So close, so close, so...
>
>rick
>'70 B-GT

Yea, and still not there...