Re: transmission identification

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: transmission identification
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:11:20 -0800
It's a bit difficult to describe if you've never seen either in the flesh
(...er, alloy). But you should study the drawings in the Bentley manual, or
in the Moss catalog, and that should give you an idea. The basic idea is
that the standard transmission has a long tapering rear section, while the
OD transmission has a chunky sort of box in this area, with a stubby rear
projection, but winds up very nearly the same overall length. From the
drawings you can pick up the specific details that will enable you to make a
positive identification (location of drain plugs, filter plates, switches,
etc) -- this is too lengthy to get into here since there are two different
transmissions and two types of OD unit. Hope this helps...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149