Re: Last-minute Ebay bidding

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Last-minute Ebay bidding
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:47:32 -0500
Interesting crosspost from the triumphs list, but...

So many pithy quotes describe how I feel here.

"Opportunistic Capitalism is what made this country Great" --Anon.

"The End Justifies the Means" --Machiavelli

or my personal favorite...

"It's not cheating, it's better winning through technology." --Wayne Head
(My former boss)

If there's something on ebay that I really want, I wont hesitate to pull out
the sniper. I have used the online service BidMaster
http://www.bay-town.com/bidmaster with fantastic results. It usually can bid
within the last 15 seconds of an auction. I've successfully beaten other
snipers with it.

I dont see anything sleazy or unethical about using technology to get an
upper hand in what essentially is a game. Ebay is just a game of chicken
played with money. I dont see it being about an auction. You cant go to a
live auction and say "I bid $50 on that item, but only put me down for the
$21.50 that's the next logical increment above the current bid, oh and dont
tell anyone else what my max is."

If the person that complained was willing to bid more than the winning bid,
he should have bid that to begin with. Ebay would have given his bid
precedence. So it's HIS fault for not biddint enough. You cant win the ebay
game by lowballing bids one after the other. You must bid your max to begin
with and let ebay sort out the losers.

If I were a racer, and I used technology to make my car faster, say by
upgrading from a stock cam to a race cam, and the HS4's to DCOE, am I being
sleazy?

What I'd say to that guy is, Life is hard. not happy you got beaten on an
auction? Eat macaroni and cheese for a week and save your pennies and spend
$30 on bidmaster. Otherwise, shut the hell up.

Or, maybe it's monday, I've spent the whole weekend sick in bed, and I'm
just damn cranky.

--
| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |