Best way to lower a chrome bumper B V8

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Best way to lower a chrome bumper B V8
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:38:32 -0600
I am building an MG V8 using a '78 MGB bodyshell and a '62 Buick 215
V8.  The bodyshell had been converted to chrome bumpers by the previous
owner, utilizing new fenders, bumpers, etc.  The only problem is that
the ride height was never changed.  While I hate to take the time to do
it now, I probably should lower the car now before I get the V8
installation completed, right now the engine is in the car and I can get
the hood shut over the air cleaner, but there are a lot of details to
attend to still.  I'm wondering what the collective opinion is as to the
best way to lower the car to pre '74 ride height or a little lower.  I
have plenty of chrome bumper B parts cars from which to take parts from,
however I will probably need to still have the steering column shaft
still go through the left hand motor mount.  I guess that I have the
following questions:

1)  Can I lower the rear end by simply substituting CBB (chrome bumper
B) rear springs?  If I do, will the factory rear sway bar still work?
Because of the sway bar I hate swapping out rear axles.

2)  Can I lower the front end by installing cut down springs and cutting
down the bump stops?  I'm guessing that would probably not provide
enough spring travel.  This would probably also increase negative
camber, but that would help from a handling standpoint.

3)  If I bolt in a CBB front cross member can I still use the RBB
steering rack (perhaps with adapter plates)?

4)  If I bolt in a CBB cross member and steering rack, will the steering
rack work with the '78 bodyshell?  I'm using RV8 style headers so header
clearance around the steering rack really isn't an issue.

Thanks for the help.  For anyone who is interested, here is a link to a
picture of my car with the engine in it:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/78_MG_V8_Hood_Closes.JPG

Kevin Brown  '78 MGB V8,  '54 MGTF 1500 RHD,  '66 MGB, '71 MGB, '74 TR6,
'89 MR2
Odessa, MO