Re: MG supercharger

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG supercharger
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:46:32 -0800
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:55:40PM -0500, James H. Nazarian, Ph.D. wrote:
> I will add to my esteemed MG-colleague's sentiments... I too have seen a few
> $20,000.00 restorations. They are indeed beautiful, but they would never get
>my vote
> in a popular vote show or for that matter in a "true" concours show, would
>that I be

I can vouch that not all $20,000 restorations are beautiful. I would
guess that I probably have about that much sunk into my MGB. Granted,
I didn't do a cosmetic restoration, and some of the money had to be
spent on doing the same thing twice as it sat for about 6 years
between the first time I had it on the road and the second.

I keep running up against the nasty fact of how fast the bills would
pile up if I were to fix her up the way I'd like.  I could probably
get a decent paint and body job for about $1,000, doing a lot of the
work myself.  The O/D crapped out, I don't know why, but the solenoid
seems to be working, as I remember Lawrie said that a 5-speed Z-car
tranny conversion would be about $500, the cylinder head needs
redoing, though I'd rather use my fresh (ported) head and the blower,
so we're talking $400 to $4,000 here, then there would be the QH
headlights, etc. etc. etc.

Oh well, she runs, and is fun to drive. That's what is important. She
also gets a lot of attention at the track, being older than about half
the drivers there.

  Larry

--
Honesty and communication are what make a relationship work.
Romance is what makes it play.