Re: Really Amateur Racing

To: "Gary Davis" <GDAVIS@gp.usbr.gov>
Subject: Re: Really Amateur Racing
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:00:52 -0500
> I have two sons (15 and 16) that insist they want to learn to race cars.
I would > appreciate some advice on the proper way to allow them to get some
?
> experience to see if this is really something they want to pursue.
>
> Thanks - Gary

This just isn't an issue of racing, but more importantly an issue of public
safety!

That said, one of the more recognised performance driving schools is
probably the route to go.  Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, etc.  (search web for
addresses).  The prices will run you a decent sum for a couple day course.

If that isn't an option, find a nice HUGE paved surface that is preferably
abandoned and let the boys familiarize themselves with the handling aspects
of an automobile.  Then go to autocrosses and track days once they have
demonstrated the ability to control situations they may encounter driving in
a more spirited manner than normal.

The last thing you need is a frantic cell phone call from your son saying he
just crashed the TR6 he received for his birthday, only a week after getting
his licence.  Oops, that was me.  Anyway...

Regardless of what you tell your sons, if they are intent on racing and have
the means to do so (an automobile of their own) they will one way or another
go about getting the thrills they need; it is just a matter of doing it
safely in a controlled environment or not.  I know I learned my lesson.

Learning about terminal oversteer in the middle of a left hand turn at a
busy intersection is not a good thing.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke