Re: Odd camshaft wear...

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Subject: Re: Odd camshaft wear...
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:08:16 -0500
David,

What you just described from Isky is called case hardening: most commonly a heat
treating process, although there are other ways to surface harden (i.e.:
ion-nitriding, silicone nitriding can be applied to friction surfaces only) the
nearly finished camshaft is heated to a predetermined temperature in an oven,
then
cooled; this causes a recrystallization of the metal. A smaller grain structure
results in a harder metal, and smaller grain structure results from faster
quenching. This whole process isn't very different than what you'll see
watching a
blacksmith heating, hammering (work hardening), and finally tempering, by
dropping
the hot horse shoe in a bucket of water. Case hardening AKA surface hardening is
nice because it is a hard, wear resistant, but brittle surface on a softer, but
flexible substrate. If the camshaft were uniformly hardened, it would be more
prone
to chipping or breaking. A camshaft can only be ground a certain amount before
the
case depth is exceeded. Nothing wrong with Isky cams... they do know what they
are
doing.

Now back to the question at hand; the question always comes to mind " did I do,
or
fail to do something to cause this?" IMHO, many factors can come into play here,
but I can only surmise the reason for Ernest's severe wear only on cam lobes 1
and
8 has to do with a defect in the original heat treating process, not something
he
did wrong. It is commonly known that connecting rod bearing 3 will almost
always be
the first to go. I defer to historians or ones like Lawrie and Ed, who have vast
experience with engine internals, to tell us if there is a similar lesser known
pattern of wear in camshafts.  I am unawear of one (no pun intended, but I
simply
could not resist ;^} ).

Jim