That electric MGA again

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: That electric MGA again
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 01:18:17 -0600
Y'all may recall the yellow MGA that was being converted to electric drive
on a big budget?  Well it's finished and running, and not much left but the
hootin and hollerin.  It will burn rubber in 1st and has upgraded
suspension and brakes to handle the added weight.

Unfortunately UT-Arlington has scrubbed the team website, so now I'm trying
to get the info back so I can get it all posted somewhere again.  Rumor has
it that the prior web pages still exist on a CD, so they may come back
eventually.  Meanwhile, there are a few pictures of the done deal on a free
space at the fbody site.  You can also get a paragraph of introduction
along with the links when you stop by here on the way:
    http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/whatsnew

Hank says so far no official testing done, just some spirited leadfooting
for grins and giggles, and testing time is sparse, so it may be a while for
the juicy details.  He thinks it handles well, except that he has never
driven another MG to compare it with, and the regenerative braking works
well.  As I recall (from the way-back machine), construction budget was
about $200,000-USD, the new A/C motor drives through the original gearbox,
and projected weight was "intended" to be around 2400 pounds curb weight,
but then maybe they added some more batteries.

I offered to provide, or maybe talk someone into lending them a more
original type MGA for comparison purposes.  Given the opportunity I might
make time for a little side trip for a test drive, some serious inspection,
and more pictures of course.  No idea when that could happen though, as
their fearless project leader seems to spend a lot of time out of town.

I will be keeping in touch.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsouece.com/~barneymg