Re: Conflicting Plug Gaps

To: Valerie Stabenow <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Subject: Re: Conflicting Plug Gaps
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:58:00 -0600
   A wider gap makes a hotter spark as more air has to
be ionized.  A hotter spark means a better chance of
vaporizing any fuel that is in the liquid state -- especially
if on the plug tip.  And the fuel HAS to be in the gaseous
state to burn.  Translation: hotter spark = easier starts.
Then again, there is a counterpoint.
   Larger gaps require more voltage -- a condition
Valerie provides by using Hot Coils.  Without them and
running an engine at high RPMs, the conventional ignition
may not be able to produce adequate voltage to arc across
the 0.035" gap 100% dependably.
   There you have it.  For tomorrow, work problems 2, 4
and 5 and remember, Chapter 3 test on Friday! :-P

Rick