Re: serious electrical problems/help

To: Julie Ann Phillips <jphillips@cvalley.net>,
Subject: Re: serious electrical problems/help
From: Dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 15:47:25 -0800
My friend just went through this on his 68..  His wiring was similar to
your description.  Butchered and hacked by the PO.  Cut wires... Extra
wires..  crimp on connectors everywhere...  Alt light would come on when
you stepped on the break and other symptoms of things happening when you
turned things on and off.  His wife was driving it when smoke came
billowing from under the dash.  She called on her cell phone and he rushed
to her and disconnected the battery.  It was bad!  I had never seen a main
loom burn off all it's insulation and just bare wire everywhere.  But no
flames!!  She was so lucky the car didn't burn!  The car had been plagued
with electrical problems from the day he bought it.  He bought a new
loom.  It was a tremendous amount of work installing it.  He removed the
dash.  Replaced the light switch and and a few of other things on the dash
that looked like they where in poor shape.  But now after the new loom
everything works! the Alt light stays off!  all the gauges work.  All the
lights work..  I think the only real way to fix it right is a new loom.
It will solve so many problems in the long run..  And possibly even
prevent a fire!!!