Pulley Clearance?

To: "MG NET" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pulley Clearance?
From: "Tom Bott" <tcbump@leading.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 21:26:49 -0500
Good Day List,
Looked at a '72 MGB today and noticed that the steering rack is within 1/4
inch or less of the pulley on the motor (at the bottom edge of the pulley)
leaving not enough clearance to remove belt.  Can this be right?  How would
one change a belt?  The steering was working, (motor is not), no apparent
damage to front end, so what would push the rack that close?  My 79 not only
has several inches clearance, but the steering rack is also several inches
lower than the pulley.  Any ideas or should I put my two nickles back in my
pocket?

Thanks,   Tom