Eric's New Motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Eric's New Motor
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:26:48 +0609
Seeing as so many of you asked off-list (yeah, go on... dispute it ;-)

This is my very brief first report on my new engine (of course if I said
'new motor' the English listers would think I had a new car).

I must say that it is going to be harder than I first imagined to get a
few hundred 'run in' miles on this engine before my first race.  So far,
since finishing work at amonst 7:00pm tonight, I have managed only 60
miles.  I have tomorrow (Thursday) night to drive it again before
tuning, tightening and retensioning everything on Friday - then Saturday
to finish the remainder of the race prep.

Of course, as (bad) luck would have it, I am 'on call' on Saturday so I
can't be too far away from my computer for too long.  This is getting
silly.  I am going to be rather apprehensive about pushing the car
flat-out come raceday Sunday.

My first thoughts on the engine are...

It feels fantastic, zippy (a non-V8 cannot be 'grunty'), torque-y and
tough, but will take a little getting used to.  Let's hope I can get
used to it before I have to make quick decisions on the track!

More detail to follow :-)  Yes, I can't stop grinning (or using
exclamation marks)!!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia