re: Eric's new motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Eric's new motor
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:36:41 +0609
OK, before I go to bed and try to sleep - it is hot and humid here
tonight - and while the list is quiet...

My 'run in' drive tonight brought about the following observations:

It is a bit noisy (sounds like tappet noises and hopefully not valve
clatter and the like) - but I have never experienced a new engine like
this before so I am not sure what might 'settle down', especially after
everything is re-tensioned and tightened.

This is the heaviest clutch I have ever felt (new springs with my
'button' clutch).  It has cured me of my occasional sitting at lights
with the clutch IN.  It certainly GRABS when required, with enough slip
to avoid 'bunny-hopping' starts.

It is as torque-y as all get out :-)  Getting used to the clutch I
released it a bit late and expected the thing to bog down severely, if
not stall.  Instead, I just kept accelerating and it drove right out of
it from almost NO revs - smoothly.  'Running in' the rings I have being
putting load on the engine by driving in high gears at low revs.. again
it just drives out of it and pulls like an old sailor!

This means I might even get through a notorius tight hairpin bed at our
track in third gear - normally it meant hard braking and a (too) high
revving second gear because third would just bog down and leave you poor
exit speed.

The slightly lumpy, 'fast street' cam means that I now sit at lights
burbling and rocking like a car with a lumpy cam :-)

A few short spurts, under expert supervision, already shows (even though
tuning is not spot on yet) that she has plenty of get-up-and-go and the
sound from the extractors, stainless steel 2" system and muffler is
suitably impressive to match.

This is going to be an experience, especially as I work out my new
braking points :-)

Any hints or tips anyone?

Eric
'68MGB MkII