Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU Adjustments (LONG!) was: Float Height Issue
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:40:34 -0800
Very interesting. I have always thought of the float bowl as containing a
reserve of unpressurized fuel, which flowed into the carburetor as allowed
by the needle jet opening. In this view, as long as the level is not so low
as to run dry, or so full as to flood, it shouldn't matter where the level
is at precisely at any moment (it being generally in a state of transition
-- either filling or being depleted). The float level serves as a trigger to
regulate the influx of pressurized fuel from the pump -- when the level gets
too low, the valve is opened allowing more fuel to flow in; and when the
level is sufficiently high, fuel flow is cut off (momentarily).

Now this is basically a static view of the situation. I realize that in the
real world, instantaneous demands for fuel based on throttle position,
mixture setting and needle profile may result in fuel starvation if the
level is set too low, even if that setting works at idle or at part
throttle. But once you have a level setting that is "high enough" without
resulting in flooding at low throttle settings, how does any further, more
precise adjustment of the float level make any operational difference?

It seems to me that for your hypothesis to be correct, you would have to say
that, for a given mixture adjustment, throttle position, and needle, that
the instantaneous state of the float valve and fuel level (open and filling,
closed and depleting, or in-between) makes a difference in the fuel mixture
at the carb throat. I don't see how that can be so (barring starvation, of
course). Given any fuel at all in the float chamber, the pipe going to the
jet will be filled, and the only thing that controls the flow rate to the
carb throat is the needle/jet annulus (I love that word!). Am I missing
something?

I don't have an ax to grind, here, I'm just trying to understand it...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149