What's it worth?

To: "MG listerati" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's it worth?
From: "Lonn & Rhonda" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:58:08 -0800
I need some help in determining what my 1970 GT is worth.  I am in a
British car vacuum in southeastern Washington, and there is no market
for them here.  I am considering listing it on e-Bay.

I have completely rebuilt or replaced every mechanical component on
the car, with the exception of the rearend, which has the clunk:

new radiator and all new hoses
new brake system, master cylinder and slaves
the engine is correctly rebuilt with:
    all new valvetrain components
    hardened exhaust seats
    new pistons and Perfect Circle rings
    new oil pump
    new timing chain and gears
rebuilt overdrive transmission
rebuilt steering componentry
new frontend (everything suspension or steering related)
new balanced driveline
new parking brake assembly
you think it, I replaced or rebuilt it without regard to cost...

The interior is new from the headliner to the carpet pad, dash to the
hatch door trim.  EVERYTHING is new and immaculate in the interior
except the gearshift knob... the original-owner's son asked me to
leave it since it was a gift for his father.

Wire wheels were stripped and repainted, tires are new, the original
grille is available but I put the better looking, IMHO, chrome grille
on it, new rubber seals everywhere, new windscreen trim, blah, blah,
blah... you get the picture.  I threw money at it like a fool.  I
don't even like it that much, but I got carried away in the fun of it.

The body and paint look good from 15 feet, but up close and personal,
the amatuerish work is apparent if you are looking for it.  There is
minor rust inside the sills, but nowhere else.  It's Resale Red now,
but started off life that horrible yellow.

I've put 3300 miles on it since it hit the road two summers ago.
Somebody else might just as well enjoy it.

So, what is a fair price to place as a reserve?

Thanks,
Lonn Howard
Pasco, WA USA
'67 Land Rover 109
'90 Range Rover
'70 TR6
'71 TR6
'70 MG BGT
'89 Saab turbo 'vert
'91 big Chevy truck

"We are just temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."