RE: Which Wire...

To: "'Mike Razor'" <mrazor@mis.net>, "MG list (E-mail)"
Subject: RE: Which Wire...
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:06:03 -0800
Hi mike,

possible problems

1: Idiot previous owner re-wiring, so that power for the brake lights is
being drawn from the wrong circuit and it just blew the fuse. The wrong fuse
should be blown

2: Short via the brake circuit. The correct fuse should be blown

3: corrosion in connectors on the fuse box or in the harness. Connectors are
prone to corrosion because you usually have three types of metal meeting
(copper in wire, alloy in connector, allow in other connector). The reason i
say fuse box is that the whole car is now dead suggesting an "upstream"
rather than "downstream" fault. A corroded connector can behave starngely
electrically, especially if it gets hot (which they're prone too). This is a
real hazard to your car because the wire overheats at a lower current than
the fuse rated to protect the circuit. In a bizarre parallel universe i just
noticed a corroded connector near my fuse box, and when i came to replace
them the plastic housing was heat damaged. In my case i detected it because
i had an intermittent wiper/tach/indicator fault. when i came to try and
raplace the connector is discovered that the idiot PO had tried to fix it by
clamping the connector onto the fuse-box lug. That took a while to get off
i'll tell you!

Advice

start at the fuse box, check that all connectors that should have power do
have power. turn on the ignition, repeat. turn off ignition (don't want to
risk that there; a nice hot short there). work through the wiring diagram,
you can proabbaly narrow down the location of the fault to one or two points
in the circuit. check connectors and replace as necessary. check through the
brake-light circuit to make sure everything is wired in correctly. if not
figure out why it was changed and trace and fix THAT underlying fault. I
personally wouldn't drive the car until i was certain i had found and fixed
the problem. electrical fires are not fun.

cheers

Joe
___________________________

Dr. Joseph Garner