Re:Cars For Sale - Reluctantly

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Cars For Sale - Reluctantly
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:23:07 EST
Well, it happened.
I went mad and finally decided to buy the Lamborghini I had been lusting
after (not the first one I looked at, a decent looking but inwardly rusty
Espada, but a much rarer bird, an Islero S, one of around 40 cars still
extant, out of a total production of 100).

SWMBO made (inordinate) demands for fleet reduction, so 3 cars are now
officially on the block, only 2 of which might be of interest to this group
(anyone interested in a 72 Pontiac convertible 455 HO, contact me off-list).

The first one is an MGA Twincam - a restoration project that I was originally
going to offer with no engine (I figured I might need the spares for the race
car). I relented at the pleading of a local enthusiast, who said that it
would be much nicer to offer someone the complete kit including engine.

So - 1959 Twincam, engine there but disassembled, correct original
transmission (the ZA case was used), many new bits, and most important,
original wheels!!
$10,000 US

Next, my old race car that I never get around to using any more, a TVR
Grantura Mk3, one of 90 built.

I have had it for 20 years, and did a frame off restoration on it as a race
car (no mean feat - I cut the body off the frame, as the early cars were
bonded on, and refurbished the frame, converting it to a bolt-on body like
the later Vixens).

It has all sorts of neat hard to find parts on it - 3 main MGB motor, factory
high volume oil pump (try and find one of those!), forged Powermax pistons,
HRG Derrington crossflow head (an original stage 4 head, not a repro that
doesn't flow as much) with HRG valve cover, bronze guides, factory neat bits
in the valve train, and twin 40 DCOE Webers on factory intake manifolds (if
you want to see these look at the pictures of the Le Mans cars in 1962 - I
think- I have NEVER seen another pair), custom headers, the usual racing
stuff - baffled sump, balanced of course.

The chassis has a close ratio nonsynch (late 1968 stronger large layshaft
version) gearbox with overdrive, factory optional American Racing magnesium
(not aluminium!) wheels, with 1 season old 185-70 x 15 TA Comps, my last set
of DS11 pads in the brakes, roll bar, belts, suspension modified to do what
the factory did for the V8 Griffiths and Tuscans (additional rear shocks,
boxed front A arms , etc.

If you want to vintage race, you would have to go through it and replace
fluids, probably brake hoses to be safe, check wheel bearings, etc., the
usual safety checks, and onto the trailer. The engine is strong, but built
for endurance, with around a 10.5 -11 compression ratio and a factory style
AEH 770 cam that allows 6500 rpm shifts. With the CR, OD trans, the splits
between shifts are around 1200-1500 rpm at 6000, so it doesn't drop much.

Weighing around 1700 pounds, it easily beats MGBs all day with better engines.

Oh yes, it is painted red, and the mags are gold, and I want $20,000 US for
it.. Pictures on request.

Sorry for so much commercial content, but I felt that these particular cars
might be of interest to group members. And if I don't sell a couple of them,
SWMBO will have me singing suprano!

Bill S.
Vancouver BC

///