Re: Which Wire....

To: "Ian.Rutherford" <Ian.Rutherford@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Which Wire....
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:53:17 -0600
"Ian.Rutherford" wrote:

> Mike,
>        Have you tried operating the brake light swith by hand, push
> it with a screwdriver blade etc rather than using the pedal. That
> should confirm its a problem with a high resistance joint rather than
> some other obscure fault. I had a similar promlem on my '78 B but it
> only happened 2 or 3 times and then cured itself so I never got to
> the bottom of the problem.
> cheers,
> Ian R.
> re

I have joined the thread late so forgive me if I echo other's advice.
As I see it, there are three possible states that can occur when you
press the pedal;
1. nothing happens
2. the brake light circuit closes and the problem is elsewhere in the
   circuit.
3. the brake light switch shorts one (or both) of the brake light circuits to
ground (earth) at the switch.

... of course, 2 and 3 could coexist.

Here is my recommendation; Isolate the problem area.

1. Disconnect the wires from the brake light switch.  Is all fine?
2. Short the two wires together?  Brake lights should come on
   but nothing else should fail.
  + If failure, problem is elsewhere in circuit.
  + If no failure and brake lights work, problem is in brake light
     switch alone -- shorting to ground.
  + If no failure BUT no brake lights, switch is shorting to ground
     and another problem exists elsewhere in brake light circuit.

What have I left out?

rick

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list