Re: The time has come (fairly long)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The time has come (fairly long)
From: S & M Barnes <barnesms@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:14:08 -0600
Many thanks to all who replied to my mail, both on and off the list. I hope
those who e-mailed me personally will forgive me if I only reply with a
blanket e-mail to the list on this occasion, I'll try to answer all
questions though.

Thanks also to those who answered my first dumb question, but having
received the answer I think I will ignore originality in this case and go
for the mechanical brake light switch rather than the pressure type.
Although I have never had any problems with the earlier switches I am a firm
believer in building for reliability and if I can remove something from the
system and replace it with a simpler component that is less likely to fail I
will do so.

Please feel free to argue this point any way you like! :-)

I am living in St. Louis, MO, and have found quite a large MG following
here, in fact it was another MG BBSer that persuaded Stef and myself to move
here from Arkansas last year. I have found, since moving to the USA that the
MG following here is at least as strong as it is in the UK, the only
difference being the fact everything is so far apart! No longer can I decide
on a Friday evening which MG event I am going to go to that weekend, many of
the shows it would take all weekend to drive to! But so what? The shows I
will go to will just involve a much longer drive in the MG and what's wrong
with that? There is nothing to beat an extended road trip in the MG!

And talking of extended road trips, no longer will I be able to hop in the
car and head for France or Portugal or Greece or where ever, but again, so
what? I have a whole huge country to explore and a wife who wants to do the
same, no more worries about passports and temporary import permits etc. I'm
quite sure the USA can offer just as much as Europe plus everybody speaks
almost the same language as me! Although I have to confess it took me a
little while to learn Southern and the further south I go the more people
have trouble understanding me! :-)

Anyway, enough of my rambling and boring you all, I'll just finish by saying
that I spent a while this morning giving a few final tweaks to a friend's
car this morning in preparation for the Missouri Endurance Rally next
weekend. Those of you who are taking part in that, I'll be the guy taking
your photograph before you leave, let me know who you are!

Target date for completion of May-B: March 2002 for the next Rally, if not
sooner!

Cheers All

MikeB

///