dodged the bullet

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: dodged the bullet
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:27:08 -0600
I almost screwed myself on Ebay.  I need a left hand front fender for my
72B restoration project. An unused repro was on Ebay so I jumped in the
bidding and got caught in the frenzy. I bid up to $220, knowing a Moss oe
version costs about $450. Then after looking through my catalogs, I noticed
Improper MG has a new front repro fender for $169.

I still had a day left and with a sick feeling, I pondered withdrawing my
bid. But bidding too high is no excuse to withdraw according to Ebay. But
then the usual happened - the last minute bidding the next day. Two others
jumped in and the fender was gone at a bargain $232.

So I pored over my catalogs - Improper MG at $169,  TRF at $279 (Moss at
$259 but GT only??). Are these for the same repro fender? Is the more
expensive OE fender worth an extra $200? I've had problems with the Proper
MG on other body parts which they did replace so has anyone had any
experience with their fenders? Anyone have a good used front fender they
would sell? I'm not in a hurry - the 72B will be ready for the road next
year I hope.

David Councill
67 BGT
65 B (son's car)
72 B (restoration)
71 BGT (parts)
80 Triumph TR7 (for sale, to fund the 72B restoration)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list