Re: Fw: 3rd Gear Noises

To: "Rick Ehlert" <ricke@idcnet.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: 3rd Gear Noises
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:05:01 -0500
At 08:10 AM 4/8/2001 -0500, Rick Ehlert wrote:

>Last fall, I complained to the list of a disturbing "whirring" noise when
decelerating in 3rd gear.  ....

If it whines in 2nd and/or 3rd gears you probably have a work layshaft,
which is causing the gears to be slightly misaligned.  This also applies
the tooth loading a little farther out towards the end of the gear tooth,
which puts more stress on the teeth.  If you ignore it long enough, one day
you may make a quick shift and pop the clutch, which may be followed by a
continuing clicking noise caused by a missing gear tooth.  If you're real
unlucky that broken tooth could get cought in the gearing and split the
gear case.  Not a good idea to ignore a whining gearbox for too long.
Similar to kids and SO's, if you don't pay attention they soon throw a
tantrum.

The toughest part of rebuilding a gearbox is getting it out of the car and
back in again.  Once you have it on the bench it can be completely rebuilt
in a few hours (sort of), assuming you have the right parts on hand.  It's
not like an engine that needs machining.  With the gearbox you just replace
worn parts and slap it back together.  Gee I do make it sound easy, don't I?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///