Re: Clutch bleed problems ...

To: Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se
Subject: Re: Clutch bleed problems ...
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:03:45 -0500
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:39:12 +0200 "Louis Mehr (EML)"
<Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se> writes:
> Good Morning Spridget and MG World,
>

> I've had quite a bit of trouble bleeding my clutch hydraulics over
> the weekend.

A  notoriously difficult undertaking.

> (i) The Haynes manual does not mention the access hole in the
> driver's footwell.  Until I discovered this from a note in the Moss
> catalogue I was struggling underneath the car.

I found the access hole was too small, as well.  I cut it open more, but
the larger hole is not an issue on my race car, where it might be on a
street car.

> (ii) It was very hard to turn the bleed nipple with the bleed tube
> attached as  access was a big problem.  It looks like a ratchet
> spanner would really help here.  What spanner model/make will allow
> me to turn the bleed nipple whilst the tube is attached given this
> limited access i.e. what do the  listers use ?

I used a very small 7/16 box wrench and bent it at an angle.  It is what
is known as an "ignition wrench" so it was quite pliable.

> (iii) After finally charging up the circuit with fluid and bleeding
> using Easibleed I found that the clutch pedal did nothing.  There
> was no sign of any motion of the clutch slave when the pedal was
> pressed and the pedal pressure felt just the same as it did with no
> fluid in it.   There were no obvious fluid leaks and the level of
> fluid in the reservoir was constant.  What is the diagnostic
> procedure here ?  I'd like to pinpoint the fault before stripdown of
> the master/slave cylinders.

I've found Easibleeds worse than useless, at least on any of the MG's I
own.  I bled my Midget's clutch as follows:

Bought a new pump-style oil can (never had oil in it).  Filled it with
fluid (I used Silicone fluid, but let's not get into THAT debate) and put
a small hose on it with a hose clamp.  The other end of the hose went on
the bleed nipple.  I opened the bleed nipple and pumped fluid up the
system into the reservoir.  Note that this was a brand new system
installation and that there was no fluid in it whatsoever.  By pumping
from the bottom up I was hopefully pushing the air in the direction it
would normally want to go.

Once the reservoir was full, I bled the clutch by having a friend pump
the clutch while I opened and closed the nipple (down, open, hold, close,
up).  It took awhile to get some pedal, but it was successful in the end.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer