How much smoke is too much smoke ?

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: How much smoke is too much smoke ?
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:23:07 +0200
Good morning Spridget and MG lists,

Thanks to everyone who gave advice about my clutch slave problems.  I'll have
another look at that soon.
Todays problem is more serious and could result in the departure of the car -
it smokes excessively !

I've started the car about four times now and it seems to emit an awful lot of
fumes.
The previous owner reckoned that it had had new piston rings and possibly
pistons too.
I can run the car for a couple of minutes and gradually reduce the choke but
the fumes continue.
Eventually I have to stop before my neighbours complain.  The smoke is not
dense blue but it does smell oily.

Other observations:

(i) When I remove the oil filler cap the valve assembly underneath does not
look very oily. (I tried this after running the car, not whilst it was running)

(ii) Underneath the carb and manifold black oil is being spat out from the
engine side cover. (To be fixed)

(iii) Cold compression test seemed to indicate good compression.  One cylinder
was slightly down but it still looked good on the Gunson compression tester.

(iv) What about adding anti-smoke additive ?  I did this to my old MGB and it
helped.

(iv) The distributor shaft is bent - I get a different points gap on each lobe.
(To be fixed)

(v) The carbs need a good looking at - one of them had a split in the jet. (To
be fixed)

 Even with a poor mixture and timing I would not have expected so much smoke -
is that reasonable ?

 Thanks in advance,

 Regards

 Louis Mehr